World Journal of Pharmaceutical and Medical Research (WJPMR) has indexed with various reputed international bodies like : Google Scholar , Index Copernicus , SOCOLAR, China , Indian Science Publications , Cosmos Impact Factor , Research Bible, Fuchu, Tokyo. JAPAN , Scientific Indexing Services (SIS) , UDLedge Science Citation Index , International Impact Factor Services , International Society for Research Activity (ISRA) Journal Impact Factor (JIF) , International Innovative Journal Impact Factor (IIJIF) , Scientific Journal Impact Factor (SJIF) , Global Impact Factor (In Process) , Digital Online Identifier-Database System (DOI-DS) , Science Library Index, Dubai, United Arab Emirates , Eurasian Scientific Journal Index (ESJI) , International Scientific Indexing, (ISI) UAE , IFSIJ Measure of Journal Quality , 

World Journal of Pharmaceutical
and Medical Research

An International Peer Reviewed Journal for Pharmaceutical and Medical Research and Technology
An Official Publication of Society for Advance Healthcare Research (Reg. No. : 01/01/01/31674/16)
ISSN 2455-3301
IMPACT FACTOR: 4.639

ICV : 78.6

Abstract

RAPID DIAGNOSIS OF BACTERAEMIA IN INFANTS AND CHILDREN

Dr. Smruti Mohanty and Dr. Laxmi Kant Mohanty

ABSTRACT

Clinically suspected 330 cases of Bacteraemia in neonates, infants & children admitted as inpatients at JLN Hospital and Research Centre, Bhilai & 25 healthy children as control were included in the present study. The cases were investigated by blood culture & 5 rapid tests Viz total leucocyte count (TLC), is the main defense against invading micro-organisms, which migrate to sites of inflammation, ingesting & killing foreign material or bacteria, immature to total neutrophil ( I:T) ratio, which is bacteria fighting cells, C – reactive protein (CRP), ESR & Grams smears of Buffy coat for organisms. Blood cultures were positive in 141 (42.7%) of 330 cases & negative organisms was 55.3% as against 44.6% of Gram positive bacteria. The most common isolates were Staph epidermides (25.5%) and Staph aureus (17.0%) with overall staphylococcal prevalence of 42.5% followed by gram negative bacteria, S.Typhi (14.8%) E.coli & Ps. auroginosa each 10.6%.The rapid tests were evaluated in blood culture positive & negative cases CRP yielded maximum sensitivity of 80.5%, Specificity of 77.7% & positive predictive accuracy of 73.0% combination of 2 tests did not reveal any significant advantage over single CRP test.

[Full Text Article]

Powered By WJPMR | All Right Reserved

WJPMR